What Are Ultrasonic Cavitation Machines? Are They Worth It?ESF
What is an ultrasonic machine?
Ultrasonic cavitation, also known as ultrasound cavitation, ultrasonic lipolysis, Liponixm, or Ultrashape, is a form of cosmetic procedure in which fat deposits are broken apart in the body. The method produces low-frequency soundwaves that liquify fat deposits. Those who advocate for ultrasonic cavitation machine claim that it is better than the alternative, liposuction.
The procedure can be done of the following parts of the body:
- Upper arms
How does ultrasonic cavitation work?
As mentioned earlier, ultrasound cavitation involves low-level ultrasonic waves between 37 and 42 kHz. The vibrating waves cause the bubbles in the fat tissue to collapse, releasing energy. The fat cells are then separated from the dermal layer of the skin. This cavitation form allows for cellulite correction and diminishing excessive fat in targeted areas with ultrasonic heat waves. Ultrasonic cavitation “melts” the fat cells underneath the skin.
The body will eliminate the fat through the lymphatic and urinary system overtime after the session, typically taking up to three months.
Pricing and sessions
Due to ultrasonic cavitation falling under the category of body sculpting, insurance will not cover it. If you choose to get ultrasonic cavitation, any costs associated with the procedure will have to be paid for out-of-pocket. Fortunately, the only additional expenses you may run into may include the provider’s fee, as no anesthesia is required.
Nicknamed the “lunch break procedure,” each session can be completed within an hour, allowing you to return to your daily activities quickly. It can take up to 12 sessions to get the desired results.
Pricing for ultrasonic cavitation machine procedures can range between $100 to $2,000 and may require many sessions.
Candidates for Ultrasonic Cavitation Machines
Those who want to use ultrasonic cavitation will ideally need to be healthy who are just looking to shape their body in a non-invasive way. Ultrasonic cavitation machines are recommended for those wanting to lose a few pounds with body sculpting rather than liposuction. According to Healthline, you are a potential candidate for ultrasonic cavitation meet the following criteria, if:
- Are you in good health
- Are a non-smoker
- Don’t have unrealistic expectations
- Are within 15 pounds of their weight goal
Those who want to lose a ton of weight with ultrasonic cavitation will not get the desired results.
Types of cavitation machines
Listed below are different types of cavitation machines
- Ultrasonic cavitation machine: These machines are the most commonly used cavitation machines for body sculpting. Ultrasonic cavitation machines heat the subcutaneous layer of fat in the skin.
- Radiofrequency device (RF): This cavitation machine emits radio frequencies to heat collagen in the skin. There are three types:
- Bipolar RF devices are used for facelifting, reducing droopy skin and wrinkles.
- Tripolar RF devices are used for rejuvenating the skin around the eyes.
- Hexapolar RF devices help treat thicker skin and cellulite.
- EMS: Electronic Muscle Stimulators create electrical pulses that cause the muscles to contract, making muscles more toned and sculpted.
- Infrared (IR) Light: Infrared lights can enter the skin and create heat, allowing for better penetration of radiofrequency energy and improved recovery of the body.
Additional features of cavitation machines can include:
- LED photon therapy: Some machines will include a red LED light, which generates small amounts of heat to help with blood circulation and improve metabolism.
- Vacuum negative pressure: Having a vacuum feature on the cavitation machine can help minimize fat and tighten skin.
Are they safe?
Ultrasonic cavitation is relatively safe to use, given its nonintrusive method requiring no surgical procedures. There are no incisions made to the body, which means people won’t have to worry about scarring. Having an ultrasonic cavitation session also means that those who use cavitation will not have to worry about being put under anesthesia or taking days off work.
While radiation is used in ultrasonic cavitation, Amjad Medical claims that the radiation only attacks the localized area of skin and does not go deeper into other organs. However, if the gel is not used with the cavitation machine, the skin may get burned.
It is also to be noted that not all body-sculpting methods, aside from ultrasonic cavitation and radio frequency, are FDA-approved for cosmetic procedures. Ultrashape is the only ultrasonic cavitation procedure that is approved by the FDA.
Is it effective?
As mentioned before, ultrasonic cavitation is not meant for people looking to lose a large amount of weight. Cavitation is not a weight-loss treatment and should be treated as such. Ultrasonic cavitation can provide excellent results for people who want certain body parts to be more toned.
For those who choose to use ultrasonic cavitation for body-sculpting, there is an abundance of benefits that come with it. Listed below are some of the benefits that come with ultrasonic cavitation.
- It’s a non-invasive procedure: There are no surgical procedures involved in this body sculpting method, meaning you won’t experience any trauma to your body.
- Versatility: You can choose just about any place on your body for ultrasonic cavitation
- All-natural: With the use of low ultrasonic waves liquefying fat, your body will eliminate the fat in a natural manner.
- Painless: There’s no need to worry about any surgeries with this procedure, as there are no cuts made onto your body.
- It’s quick: Each session lasts between 30-60 minutes, which means it won’t take up the majority of your day. Another added benefit is that the only principal preparation you’ll need for this treatment is drinking water.
- Results are fast: The effects of ultrasonic cavitation come almost immediately from your first session. More desired results will come about after a few more sessions, but it depends on the individual.
- Easy procedure: The procedure is reasonably simple to undergo without any issues, making it less of a hassle for those giving the cavitation.
What to consider before purchasing a cavitation machine
It is essential to have a checklist when looking for an ultrasonic cavitation machine. Having a list will ensure that whichever device is chosen fits your specific needs in terms of cavitation.
Here are some considerations to make a note of before purchasing a cavitation machine.
Price: Decide what your budget will be for a cavitation machine and stay within that range. Know what features or tools you would like to come with your device to change the pricing.
Features: Each cavitation machine will come with different features, such as a skin tightening radio frequency, vacuum head, or LED laser panel. Additional features can make specific devices more expensive, so be sure that your budget will allow them.
Weight: If you plan on traveling with the machine, you’ll want to choose a cavitation machine that is lightweight and portable.
Size: The sizes of cavitation machines vary between sizes, based upon whether it is portable and the features that come with it. Your budget and desired features can play a big part in which size you’ll need.
Safety: It always essential to ensure that technologies such as the ultrasonic cavitation machine have safety measures. Safety measures can include auto shut-off and heat regulation for the cavitation machine.
Warranty: It is vital to choose a cavitation machine, just if any issues arise with the device. Having a warranty may allow you to get free replacement parts, repairs, or an entirely new machine.
Steps to using cavitation machine at home
With the option to purchase cavitation machines for at-home use, people can easily give themselves or others a body-sculpting treatment. For those looking to use an ultrasonic cavitation machine at home, the steps are listed below.
- Apply ultrasound gel to targeted areas of the body: Make sure that gel is applied to the targeted location on the body before using an ultrasonic cavitation machine. Typically, the gel will be provided with the machine. Using gel (at least 3-5 mm thick) allows the skin to be protected from the device and get the device to reach deeper layers.
- Cut on the ultrasound cavitation machine: All ultrasonic cavitation machines come with a power button that must be switched on before use.
- Choose the desired feature(s): Cavitation machines usually come with various settings to choose from for cavitation. These features can include ultrasonic, EMS, or infrared. Some machines may also give the option to change the vibration’s timer and intensity. The machine’s manual should be checked for more information.
- Begin massaging the area: The massage can be done in either a circular or sliding motion in the desired body location with the node. The whole area of the targeted site should be thoroughly massaged.
- Change the intensity: The vibration level can be adjusted based on the individual’s preferences or the machine’s instructions.
- Determine how often to use it: The machine can be used several times in one day for some time. After two weeks, the machine can be used just once a week.
Warning: Do not apply the cavitation’s node to your eyes or heart.
Who shouldn’t use them?
While ultrasonic cavitation machines are relatively safe for most to use, specific individuals need to avoid the procedure.
The following individuals should not use an ultrasonic cavitation machine (or any body sculpting treatment):
- Children under the age of 18
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Menstruating women
- Individuals that have surgical scars
- Individuals with any metal implants
- Individuals with chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, cancer (specifically skin cancer), epilepsy, diabetes, or tumors
- Individuals who are immunocompromised
- Individuals with photosensitive skin
- Individuals with burned skin, skin allergies, or skin infection
- Individuals with kidney or liver disease
- Individuals with infectious diseases
- Individuals with hormonal disorders
- Individuals with high cholesterol
Cavitation machines do NOT treat weight loss
It is to be noted that cavitation therapy does not treat weight loss. Ultrasonic cavitation is a circumferential reduction procedure that won’t produce highly noticeable fatty removal. This procedure is also not meant to treat those with obesity or overweight. Those looking to lose an extensive amount of weight should look into liposuction. Cavitation is not a form of weight-loss treatment and will not treat any weight-related chronic diseases.
Results are not guaranteed from using ultrasonic cavitation machines, but there are ways in which individuals can maximize their results.
Tips for using a cavitation machine
If you decide to buy a cavitation machine, here are some tips to follow to ensure that the device is used correctly.
- Speak with your doctor beforehand to ensure you don’t have any medical conditions that can affect the treatment
- Read the manual thoroughly before using the machine
- Always use a gel designed for the cavitation machine before using it. The gel will prevent burns from the ultrasonic waves.
- Always take inches as a unit of mass
A few side effects are associated with using an ultrasonic cavitation machine, although they only occur on rare occasions. Listed below are some possible side effects.
- Redness and irritation of the skin
- Increased body temperature
- Increased thirst
- Body aches and pains
Pre-and-post treatment for ultrasonic cavitation
Before going through the body sculpting procedure, some pre-and-post treatment instructions must be understood by both the user and the procedure recipient.
The instructions are listed as the following:
- Bring Spanx to wear after the procedure
- No shower right after the procedure
- No tanning before the treatment (skin may become damaged)
- Drink at least 2 liters both before and after each session
What happens after the procedure
Once the procedure is done, you may feel nauseous and a tingling sensation where the process took place. These are entirely normal to feel after using cavitation and is a good sign that it is working correctly.
It is to be noted that it will take three months after your last session before any final results to be apparent. This due to your body needing to eliminate the fat naturally over time. Results can be long-lasting as long as your weight is stable. Factors such as age and hormones can affect how long the effects last.
Maintenance of Body Sculpting After Session(s)
You must take good care of your body after each ultrasonic cavitation session. Proper care of your body will ensure that you get the results you are looking for and prevent potential issues.
Listed below are standard recommendations for maintaining body sculpting after a session.
Drink water: You should aim to consume at least 1.5 Liters of water both before each session and then 2 Liters three days after the session. Water is needed for three days to eliminate the toxins from the body sculpting session. Consuming the recommended amount of water each day can speed this process up.
Stimulate the area: The area treated on your body needs to be massaged to help eliminate the toxins. This can be done in the shower with a body brush or by applying moisturizer to your skin.
Diet: A low calories, low fat, low carbohydrate, and low sugar diet is recommended for both pre-and-post treatment of ultrasonic cavitation. A good diet will ensure that your body’s triglycerides released by the cavitation process are used. Beverages like alcohol, coffee, tea, and milk should be avoided. Also, avoid any fatty or junk foods as well.
Exercise: Moderate-level physical activity for at least 20 minutes should be done immediately after ultrasonic cavitation. Cardio and strength training is the best exercise methods to use post-treatment, which should be done three to five times a week. These exercises will help elevate the heart rate, which helps burn fat.
Depending on what tools you or your esthetician may have, vacuum cavitation or massage can be done to release lymphatic drainage.
Can the weight be gained back?
If you do not adhere to a healthy diet and a good exercise regime, the weight can come back. A calorie-rich diet can cause the once liquified fatty cells to increase in size again. Ultrasonic cavitation is highly recommended for those who will follow a healthy regimen to lengthen their treatment results.
Ultrasonic cavitation is one of the newer methods of body-sculpting in the cosmetic world. Many have been delighted with their results so far and highly recommend it compared to other procedures. Given that it is non-invasive and can be done in your home’s comfort if desired, ultrasonic cavitation is an excellent option for those looking to sculpt or tone their body in a simple way.
If you’re looking to lose a substantial amount of weight or live an unhealthy lifestyle that you’re unwilling to change, ultrasonic cavitation will not be the best choice for you. Instead, talk to your doctor about other methods you can take to lose weight.
Ultrasonic cavitation can be a great alternative to invasive procedures like liposuction for those looking to tone their body. If you are willing to spend the money, go to each session, and follow instructions for pre-and-post treatment, then ultrasonic cavitation may be the best choice for you.